The five components of emotional intelligence, as defined by Goleman, are self-awareness, self-regulation, motivation, social skills and empathy. We can be strong in some of these areas and deficient in others, but we all have the power to improve any of them.
Not sure how emotionally intelligent you are? Here are 14 signs you have a high EQ.
1. You're curious about people you don't know.
2. You're a great leader.
3. You know your strengths and weaknesses.
4. You know how to pay attention.
5. When you're upset, you know exactly why.
6. You can get along with most people.
7. You care deeply about being a good, moral person.
8. You take time to slow down and help others.
9. You're good at reading people's facial expressions.
10. After you fall, you get right back up.
11. You're a good judge of character.
12. You trust your gut.
13. You've always been self-motivated.
14. You know when to say "no."